Sunday, August 10, 2014

Shorts on the Line summer sew along


Spent a little quality time with my sewing machine this weekend ... it's been too long.

I've been watching the parade of shorts inspiration over on Imagine Gnats showcasing the shorts on the line sew along, and finally I couldn't stand it any longer .. I wanted to join the fun!

I downloaded two patterns that looked comfortable, and easy to wear, the City Gym Shorts for kids
and the Prefontaine shorts from Etsy Thatmoxiegirl.

Both patterns were super easy to download and print and we were up and running quickly. I've been collecting fabrics for the quilt-as-you-go bag class on Craftsy, so decided to combine my Shorts on the Line entry with a practice run on the quilt as you go technique .. ( cuz a busy mom multitasks like that )

We started with the Prefontaine Shorts .. the pockets were the deciding factor for my 11 year old .. I thought the shorts would end up being PJ bottoms and fun for sleepovers, but to my surprise, they turned out so fun and comfy that my daughter wore them all day, all night and well into the next day ( in fact she only took them off to try on the next pair of monkey print shorts we made from the same pattern )


Even though they are actually quilted with batting between two layers of fabric, they are soft and cushy and easy to wear. My other daughters are clamoring for a pair of their own.

Tutorial to come, I promise.

On to the City Gym Shorts ... So fast to sew up! We searched the stash and found a package of 4" charm squares in fun cowboy prints and set about making another pair of patchwork shorts. This time I did not use the batting between the fabric layers because these shorts are a longer length. They turned out so bright and fun. I cut my own bias binding strips so we could have eyecatching gingham fabric binding with the cowboy prints ...




I think these will be a favorite pair too ... They are so easy to pull off and on that I think they will be traveling to the water park often!

To see many more fun shorts visit the Kollabora page and see what others are making.

My entries are HERE and HERE

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are so cool! Would love to learn how you did the QYAG style shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mara! I'm going to post a tutorial on the shorts as soon as I can get it done. I'll let you know when it's up

    ReplyDelete